Topic: Brent Oxley, Hostgator Owner in some trouble!

https://i.postimg.cc/fyLrBwM6/interview-brent-oxley-hostgator.jpg

Brent Oxley Loses Access to Millions of Dollars Worth of His Domains

Brent Oxley, the founder of HostGator, has been accruing a portfolio of ultra-premium domain names since he sold his hosting company for close to $300 million in 2013.

With purchases such as Give.com for $500,000, Broker.com for $375,000, and Texas.com for $1,007,500, Oxley has spent millions of dollars over the past few years accumulating this collection. According to his website, the portfolio is worth more than $25 million.

Oxley has now, however, lost access to a proportion of his portfolio after GoDaddy locked 25 domain names as a result of a lawsuit filed by an Indian domainer.

Create.com, one of the most valuable domains Oxley has lost access to, is home to his new hosting company. Create.com’s launch was a much-anticipated return to the hosting industry for Oxley, where he made his mark founding HostGator.

Oxley confirmed, though, that his new hosting business wouldn’t be affected by the locking of Create.com since the domain is only used for sales and has nothing to do with the hosting servers that keep his customer’s sites online.

Read the full story here:
https://www.jamesnames.com/2021/03/brent-oxley/

2 (edited by: rlm Mar 04, 2021 05:25 pm)

Re: Brent Oxley, Hostgator Owner in some trouble!

That's some scary news, can't wait to see the full details on that one.

Sounds like you wouldn't want to have your domains at GoDaddy.  Of course I don't, nor would I ever, but maybe some of you who do use them should reconsider.

3 (edited by: GeorgeK Mar 04, 2021 06:02 pm)

He no longer owns HostGator. He sold it to Endurance many years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HostGator

George Kirikos - (416) 588-0269
Follow me on Twitter.

GeorgeK's Website

Liked by: FM

4 (edited by: jaydub Mar 04, 2021 06:24 pm)

So happy I no longer deal with them *THUMBSUP*
Real shock to me was Francois’s comment in the article that GD never let Brent know. He only found out when he tried to send Francois some names :o ...what a shocker that would be.

Real character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.;)
Be sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard in gear.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents :)
Immortality is achieved by living a life worth remembering.

Very pertinent comment:

Why does GD bend over? Because they have legal presence in India? Lesson to use but US-only registrars.

DomainRecap wrote:

Why does GD bend over? Because they have legal presence in India? Lesson to use but US-only registrars.

That is a very good point that I had not thought of before. Staying with a Canadian registrar would greatly reduce the chances of that.

Thank you for that comment, it is definitely food for thought.

Brent Oxley chimed in the blog post's comment section today, with lots of interesting details:

Puneet spent a little over $12 in India, and without proof, a contract, or even a court order, was able to abuse Godaddy’s policy and lock over $10mm worth of my domains!

These names have been locked for over a year now, and I’ve spent $10,000’s in legal bills trying to get a court order to get them unlocked as Godaddy requires. (covid hasn’t made it easy with the courts) The legal fees pale in comparison to the millions in deals I’ve had to turn down. The lock prevents you from changing a domain’s DNS or transferring it, which means you can’t sell it.

This scam is pretty genius if you think about it. Just about any scammer in the world can file in their country courts for a small fee; email GoDaddy that the domains are under “dispute,” and bam Godaddy will lock whatever domains the scammer asks them to in their email to courtdisputes@godaddy.com. (at least that’s what happened to me)

The scammer doesn’t even have to show up for court to keep your names locked and most likely won’t. Godaddy will lock the domains without a court order and then require you to get a court order to unlock them all.

Getting a court order to get your domains unlocked is very costly, time-consuming, and can take several years with how backed up most of the courts are from Covid.

If you’re with Godaddy and you think your account is safe from this scam, I’d recommend you email them and find out for yourself that your names can be locked from a “dispute.” their UTOS says cearly says this.

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I had a few moments of weakness and offered the scammer Puneet over $10,000 to drop the “dispute” with Godaddy. I even had some of the potential buyers wanting to pay Puneet $10,000’s in extortion money in order to close on the names locked. He was too greedy, demanding millions, and as a result, I’m not going to pay him a dime in extortion money. Instead, I’m paying lawyers in India to make sure he serves prison time for both extortion and fraud.

At one point, I even offered Godaddy full indemnification from the “dispute” if they unlocked my names. This is off the table now, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why’d they turn this down and continue to keep my names locked without any proof or court order.

Below is the email in which I found out why my names were locked. In this email Godaddy lied about there being a court order to lock my names. I don’t know why they lied about this but I’m guessing it’s because the file Puneet attached was in Hindu and they took his word for it.

“Dear Brent,

We have been notified that per documents filed in the District Court in Alwar, Rajasthan, the domain names below are the subject of a legal dispute:

HYBRID.COM, DISTRIBUTE.COM, ADMIRER.COM, DRONE.COM, CIA.COM, DEMOLISH.COM, EMIR.COM, DARM.COM, BRIDE.COM, ADVISE.COM, FLUTE.COM, LOANTAP.COM, JEWEL.COM,

ITEM.COM, PIANO.COM, DEVOTE.COM, VTOK.COM, ATHLETE.COM, BONJOUR.COM, VALENTINE.COM, DUST.COM, DETECT.COM, VIAJE.COM, MESSAGE.COM

The court ordered that the domain names are to be locked pending further order of the court. Accordingly, we have locked the domain names.

If you have any questions regarding these actions or this court case, please contact the Court or Plaintiff’s Counsel directly. Contact information for Plaintiff’s Counsel can be found below:

Puneet Agarwal

** email removed **

Kind regards,

Lisa

Disputes Administrator

GoDaddy”

When I pressed them on there being no such legal ruling or court order, they quoted their UTOS:

“Per Section 14 of GoDaddy’s Universal Terms of Service (“UTOS”), we reserve the right to lock domain names to defend any legal action or threatened legal action without consideration for whether such legal action or threatened legal action is eventually determined to be with or without merit.

I’m positive Puneet is insane. He has sent me thousands upon thousands of emails, messages, calls, etc, etc. Many of these messages involve death threats, talking about praying to the devil, drugs, pictures of mutilated naked bodies, and all kinds of craziness. In a few of the messages, he told me he got in trouble for waiting outside Prime Minister Modi’s private house and office for trying to talk to him. I’m not sure I would have even believed this if it wasn’t for him sending over a document that was an official complaint against the officer that questioned him for harassment!

https://www.jamesnames.com/2021/03/brent-oxley/

This is going to hurt godaddy big time, my discount club is about to expire there.

God if only WHC had a decent control panel!!

MapleDots wrote:

This is going to hurt godaddy big time.

I would imagine so. For the millions they spend in customer acquisition, they let go of thousands by a poor decision.

Anyone could set up this little extortion scheme and GD goes along with it...it is nuts and I can’t imagine the stress Brent is trying to cope with.

Real character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.;)
Be sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard in gear.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents :)
Immortality is achieved by living a life worth remembering.

Here is the law suit
https://www.jamesnames.com/wp-content/u … -Oxley.pdf

12 (edited by: DomainRecap Mar 06, 2021 08:50 am)

Eby wrote:

I would imagine so. For the millions they spend in customer acquisition, they let go of thousands by a poor decision.

Have you seen the size of the Indian market and their mushrooming population? Scary in terms of carbon footprint and human race viability, but corporations don't care about that "are we going to be around in 25 years" crap and only look at the sheer numbers and potential profit.

GD obviously had to agree to all kinds of crazy requirements to get into India, so as long as this situation doesn't go viral in the larger world, I'm sure they think screwing a few Americans is worth the payoff. Otherwise, they wouldn't have locked these domains.

Namecheap stood up and refused to lock the domains
https://www.thedomains.com/2021/03/06/b … y-godaddy/

I understand that after Oxley moved his domains to Namecheap, Agarwal contacted Namecheap asking for Oxley’s names to be locked, a request that Namecheap declined. I contacted Namecheap for comment. I was told:

“Namecheap always puts our customers first, protecting their right, freedoms and valuable digital assets such as domain names. We have a proven track record of doing the right thing by our customers that includes fighting for their rights in court when deemed necessary. We do not lock or disable customer domains on a whim without the correct legal requirement.”

Paul Nicks, the GM and VP of GD's Aftermarket, has made a statement via Twitter.

Click on the tweet to see the entire thread and additional comments (which is happening live):

Here's another tweet, by Shane Cultra, where GD is taking some heat and in which Paul Nick's is also responding to:

Liked by: MapleDots

16 (edited by: DomainRecap Mar 07, 2021 07:09 pm)

Here's another classic one:

OH SNAP!

It would be interesting to get a Canadian Registrars perspective on this

@efalcon from whc - can you specify your companies position?

@CanSpace - can you specify your companies position?

The topic has exploded in the internet space and godaddy is losing tens of thousands of domains.

Are we any safer moving to a Canadian entity?

I am trying to get a response from namespro.com (not namepros.com) as well to see what their response is.

@Nafti I think you have contacts there, could you send them a link to here?

There is absolutely no circumstance in which we would deny clients access to their domains without a direct order from a Canadian court.

Canada's Leading .ca domain registrar.
Best prices on .ca registrations, guaranteed!
https://www.canspace.ca

20 (edited by: DomainRecap Mar 08, 2021 11:04 am)

GoDaddy is to India as the NBA is to China.

That's why Paul at GD doesn't actually say anything concrete on Twitter and he's just gabbering to quiet the masses because of the enormous amount of Indian money at stake.

After all, it's not like GD has been holding these domains hostage for over a year. It hits online and suddenly GD is "very concerned" about it and is looking for "solutions".

MapleDots wrote:

I am trying to get a response from namespro.com (not namepros.com) as well to see what their response is.

@Nafti I think you have contacts there, could you send them a link to here?

I will email them to see if they want to join here and chime in.

The Fab 5:

Do.ca, Of.ca, No.ca, He.ca, Be.ca

DomainRecap wrote:

GoDaddy is to India as the NBA is to China.

That's why Paul at GD doesn't actually say anything concrete on Twitter and he's just gabbering to quiet the masses because of the enormous amount of Indian money at stake.

After all, it's not like GD has been holding these domains hostage for over a year. It hits online and suddenly GD is "very concerned" about it and is looking for "solutions".

Good points here.

And isn't Oxley a competitor of GD? I don't think I've seen anyone bring this up aspect yet, perhaps because it's a serious accusation to make, but doesn't this kind of add another level of shadyness to this whole ordeal?

MapleDots wrote:

It would be interesting to get a Canadian Registrars perspective on this

I would always advocate using a Canadian registrar’s services when domaining in Canada or registering .CA domains, over using similar services from an international provider.

One reason for this is jurisdiction. Having your provider operate within the same legal framework as your own business makes sense and will generally ensure that issues similar to the ones described in this post are avoided or at least easier to respond to, should they occur.

From what I know (and this is without having consulted our legal team, and without myself being a lawyer), WHC will respond to court orders that are valid in Canada, or requests from registries that follow their Domain Resolution Process (UDRP for ICANN or CDRP for CIRA; which I invite any serious domainer to familiarize themselves with).

We have and will continue to turn down requests that do not follow due process or have not been approved by a Canadian court (or the bodies designated for this by each registry), and conversely we’ll also act diligently to collaborate with law enforcement when their requests are backed by a valid court order.

Emil Falcon, founder and CEO at Web Hosting Canada

Liked by: FM, Esdiel

24 (edited by: DomainRecap Mar 09, 2021 12:59 pm)

Has anyone asked GoDaddy exactly what their agreement with India entails, as that country is well-known for the crazy demands on registrars - they require registrars selling in India to not allow certain words and phrases in any domain registrations as a condition of entry, so it would be no surprise to find out that a "lock domains at the first notification of a Indian court action" would be in the GoDaddy contract.

Domain investors must absolutely reject globalism and embrace nationalism, otherwise Brent's scenario will become all-too common.

More from Oxley, posted on NPs ~10 mins ago:

Last night I finished going through 2,000+ emails from Puneet, most of which is spam and took 50+ screenshots that I zipped up for you all and attached to this post.

The majority of Puneet's threats, mutilated body images, and prostitution discussions took place on Facebook messenger. If needed, I'll waste another day of my life organizing that for an upload.

These emails are proof that there are no contracts, Puneet was paid fair compensation on the very same names that are locked down, and that he is, in fact, the one that stole from me on multiple occasions.

I've purchased domains from just about every major broker in the industry and receive 100's of emails a day with thousands of domain names pitched. The first correspondence I had with Puneet pitching domains was on 3/24/2018. I made the mistake of being kind and responding, which eventually led to a few deals getting done. This email, too, can be found in the attachment.

I'm still waiting for Godaddy to explain why they locked Create.com, especially when considering that I purchased it in August of 2015, and it wasn't until years later Puenet and I met! But then again, Puneet doesn't seem to need to have any proof on having my domains locked down at Godaddy! Puneet is even in this forum claiming that he's aware of Godaddy's CEO Aman's personal phone calls and emails that he receives, and here I am with a $10mm+ portfolio locked down for over a year, and I still can't get him to reach out to me!

barybadrinath said: ↑
2) you called and emailed ceo of godaddy many times but he avoided you as you are a very big jerk.

In the beginning, Puneet did a good job at finding deals and came off as trustworthy; as time goes by in these emails, you can begin to see his brain seem to melt away.

I'm convinced that he's either bipolar or has schizophrenia which is most likely why he was stalking Prime Minister Modi. (the president of India) One theory I have on his rapid decline is possible drug abuse due to the newfound money flow.

I was concerned about his well-being and even discussed him getting medical treatment with his wife when she reached out to me about him being crazy.

Puneet stole $30,980 USD from me on a transaction that involved memo.com, piano.com, and flute.com. You will see a chat from Puneet talking to escrow.com chat support in the attached files, asking them to change funding to me. You will also see an email from him in which it's agreed that this is my money and that he'll wire it back. In a later Facebook chat, I offered to use this commission to purchase Indian domains to be held in my account, and, in turn, he and I would split futures profits from the sale of these Indian domains 50/50. We already had the seller cancel one escrow transaction, and we didn't want to risk the whole deal being canceled by starting escrow over with corrected payment details. Most of these deals you'll find were from 2018 when I was new to domaining as a business and before domain valuations skyrocketed.

Puneet received this wire, as proven by the included escrow transaction. He eventually tells me that he spent all the money on prostitutes, drugs, alcohol, and loans. The money was gone, and as reimbursement, Puneet offered to work it off in future deals. I was not happy, and this was the big turning point for the relationship.

I was left with little choice but to take him up on this offer and hope that he could deliver. Big mistake! In hindsight, it's clear that I wasted $100,000's worth of my time, if not millions, with his games and insanity. Even worse, there's no telling how many opportunities I lost from him pissing off sellers and all this drama that has locked $10mm+ worth of my domains. Losing the money would have been one thing but never in a million years would I expect Godaddy to lock my names down without a court order, siding with a scammer, and refusing to look at the evidence or hear my side of the story.

How Puneet got my credit card....

Puneet had a few domains about to expire within his Godaddy account and requested that I renew them as payment for a deal.

I renewed what was in the cart and quickly discovered there was no way to delete the credit card from Godaddy's system. I contacted him to have him reach out to Godaddy to get the card removed.

I have multiple chats and emails to Puneet saying that he wasn't authorized to renew additional domains and told him to reach out to GoDaddy to remove my card. Puneet acknowledged this and even responded, saying that the card couldn't be charged again.

Months later, I looked at my credit card statement and discovered $10,000's of fraudulent charges from Godaddy. I wasn't 100% sure but had a good guess where they came from, Puneet!

I reached out to Puneet to ask him if he was the one that did the credit card fraud. Puneet at first ignored me, later denied it, and last confessed to doing so. I warned him that I would do a chargeback, giving him a chance to make it right with Godaddy, he couldn't, and I soon did a chargeback for the illegal charges.

It's unfortunate to say this, but from experience, I've found the people that you help most in life are the ones most likely to steal and stab you in the back. I've learned this the hard way over the years from this Puneet experience, my ex stealing, and even close former childhood friends stealing from me.

I apologize for taking so long to get this to you all. It was a big project, and with the wife and our 2nd baby boy being born recently, helping Mama came first.

Oxley also attached a zip file with 49 screesnshots as proof, which can be found/downloaded here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/brent- … st-8193385