Topic: Who got their hands slapped at namepros?

I notice rlm's post about dn.ca was quickly deleted.

I was also had my hand slapped for posting in the pink.com topic linking to my pink.ca here.

This is against the rules young man, thou cannot post a competing forum on our forum.

So I ended up chatting with Eric Lyon and he seemed a bit sympathetic. I said dozens of blogs will post a snippet on namepros and then link back to the blog. Once on the blog members will respond on the blog and discuss the subject.

I mean really, how different is a forum like ours, technically it is just a blog. In fact most blogs use the Disqus comment system which can basically be set up like a forum.

I said to Eric that once we grow he will miss a whole lot of discussions that we would have posted on namepros creating traffic for both sites.

I even asked him if we could somehow become partner sites. He said he would think about it.

Next second, everything was deleted and whenever someone writes dn.ca it changes to [rule_violation]

So at this point I discussed this with @rlm and he said the best thing we can do is not post in the .ca discussion section at namepros anymore to drive the discussion over to here. That really pained me to do because I like namepros but nonetheless I said my good byes in the .ca section and will no longer be posting there.

I ask all Canadian domainers to do similar and help support our forum to turn it into THE source for Canadian domaining content.

A special thanks to rlm who was instrumental with his advice and guidance when we opened dn.ca

MapleDots.ca
I am hard at work helping with the launch of DN.ca

Re: Who got their hands slapped at namepros?

Sorry forgot...

They have been blocking DNForum for years but DNForum is truly a copy of namepros and I can understand them doing that, although if I was running namepros I would eliminate that crazy rule.

namepros was born because members left DNForum to open another, and that usually happens because of over moderation. Right now at namepros topics, posts, so much is deleted, locked or closed that it truly is no longer an enjoyable experience.

I love my friends there, I respect Eric immensely but they have to lighten up a bit because here we go again. Another forum born out of need for something different.

MapleDots.ca

Yep, got my hand slapped twice in one week...  I thought about posting some other sarcastic remark, but truly, the best course is to simply not post further.  Content is always king.  No content, no visitors.  Moderation isn't good unless its truly necessary.  Here, I can feel free to post my thoughts, even if its slightly critical of the forum owner (like I just posted earlier about one of his posts) and yet I don't have to worry about it.  We're all entitled to our thoughts.  Let the people decide if they want to read/agree/like it or not, not some moderator.

Now if you wanted to mess with them, you could list DN.ca for sale in the marketplace, ask to take offers, or put a big price on it.  Stress that the website and all content is included.  That wouldn't violate any of their terms would it? :lol:

Liked by: MapleDots

rlm wrote:

Yep, got my hand slapped twice in one week...  I thought about posting some other sarcastic remark, but truly, the best course is to simply not post further.  Content is always king.  No content, no visitors.  Moderation isn't good unless its truly necessary.  Here, I can feel free to post my thoughts, even if its slightly critical of the forum owner (like I just posted earlier about one of his posts) and yet I don't have to worry about it.  We're all entitled to our thoughts.  Let the people decide if they want to read/agree/like it or not, not some moderator.

I would expect no less, we are never to old to learn lessons from others. I appreciate someone being candid far more than somebody who tries to appease and agree with everything. It is only through other people opinions that we can discover our is not always right.

MapleDots.ca

rlm wrote:

Now if you wanted to mess with them, you could list DN.ca for sale in the marketplace, ask to take offers, or put a big price on it.  Stress that the website and all content is included.  That wouldn't violate any of their terms would it? :lol:

OMG, that is brilliant

MapleDots.ca

:lol:

Real character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.;)
Be sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard in gear.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents :)
Immortality is achieved by living a life worth remembering.

They keep deleting my posts so I made a good bye post and said I am working on another project and will not be posting in the .ca section any more.

It was an on topic post because I was very active in that section, instead they deleted it.

I sent a private message to Eric Lyon and this is what I said....

With all the deletions in the .ca section and rule violation notices it looks like you got your wish.
A number of prominent members (myself included) have now stopped posting in that section.

So instead of creating traffic back and forth and engaging conversation you guys have deleted and stifled it.

I won't namedrop but as a group we will no longer engage on the .ca section and we will actively promote on our forum that members should avoid the .ca section on namepros to show support for canadian content and not the heavy handed moderating on namepros.

So unfortunate that namepros has this outdated rule about other boards.
We will now actively have to instruct our members that support for .ca means not supporting the namepros .ca section.

That said, we will not delete content because that makes us no better than namepros, we will openly discuss why or members should not post in the .ca forum at namepros instead.

I mean really, we are a niche forum, we were looking forward to posting in both places, how much would namepros have lost? We would automatically have cross posted subjects to engage both member bases.

This goes to show exactly why we needed dn.ca

I will continue to post on other parts of namepros and will abide by your rule. You will lose out on good content where I would have posted links back to dn.ca to discuss just like the blogs do when they post on your site.

It will be interesting to see if I or others like me on dn .ca will be banned at namepros now that we are also engaging elsewhere. Given the history to date I will not be surprised that will happen even though we are following the rules by not posting dn .ca content.

I wish you all the best Eric and hope to engage you again about this sometime in the future when namepros decides that open unrestricted conversation is better than trying to stifle members. I encourage you to check us out and see how we decided to become a member moderated forum where we engage and converse with our members instead of deleting them.

All the best to you

Frank Mardian (MapleDots) and the community at dn .ca

MapleDots.ca

I was staff/moderator there for 4 years when RJ ran/owned it and he liked a more user friendly moderation approach.

Real character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.;)
Be sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard in gear.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents :)
Immortality is achieved by living a life worth remembering.

Liked by: FM, MapleDots

jaydub wrote:

I was staff/moderator there for 4 years when RJ ran/owned it and he liked a more user friendly moderation approach.

I know that and you also moderate at DNF so you would be a natural to help here.
Consider it if you like, I would love to have you aboard.

PS. I was going to mod at DNF in the .ca section, I was in deep discussions with them but in the end I felt that the .ca section would have been in foreign hands and I felt it was necessary to be Canadian owned.

I was also offered a moderating job at namepros but he went cold as ice when he found out I was also talking to dnf.

Again... really??? We cannot simply all get along?

MapleDots.ca

I have had my hands slapped so many times I don't put my hand in anymore.. It was so nit picky and it seemed like they would go out of your way to put the hammer down.

It was not consistent as well, I would see multiple posts that were running for weeks with no issues, but my post with the same content or lack of content/info would get slapped.

I would like to cut / paste your letter and send it myself as well.

Dan

I quit years ago, I was tired of the little lecture notifications.

MapleDots wrote:

OMG, that is brilliant

RIM
You are always thinking huh! Same old guy. LOL
Good too see you R!

DomainTrader.com