2021 compared to 2020 in .ca (1 Viewing)

Bob Hawkes

Rename.ca
Topics
From
Victoria, BC
Country flag
As part of my analysis of how sales, at least as reported in NameBio, I realize small segment of total sales, were in 2021 compared to 2020, here is the data for .ca:
*there were more sales, 50 vs 37 reported
*the average price of reported sales was down, to $4527, but still very healthy compared to most other TLDs
*the dollar sales volume in 2021 (about $226,000) was down 23% compared with 2020. It was slightly up when compared to 2019, however.

Country code domains in general had a really strong 2021, with sales volume up 42.7%. A lot of that was driven by strong sales and prices in .io, .co and .vc.

What fraction of .ca sales over $500 are reported in NameBio do people think?

Best wishes for a good 2022 everyone.

Bob

My 2021 was pretty good, but 2022 has started off very badly, with zero sales so far and a lot of price resistance above $1K. Even the $20 GD lowballs have dropped off considerably.

I attribute this to the Omicron lockdowns and the usual January malaise.

And just after I write this I get 4 successive offers on Dan - no immediate sales, but negotiations and some forward movement.

I need to post my "Tales of Woe" on here more often. :D

Reactions: FM
MapleDots said:
I got an offer for 20k and I accepted. The guy sent me a message on Dan with his PayPal information.

What the hell was that?

A potential scam in progress. :D

I got a $99 offer for a 5 letter .com municipality….times are good.

DomainRecap said:
And just after I write this I get 4 successive offers on Dan - no immediate sales, but negotiations and some forward movement.

... And all four declined my latest counters with no further response, so it's back to square one, but it was fun while it lasted.

All you need is one to say yes.

Don’t payments go through Dan?

MapleDots said:
I got an offer for 20k and I accepted. The guy sent me a message on Dan with his PayPal information.

What the hell was that?

Bob Hawkes said:
What fraction of .ca sales over $500 are reported in NameBio do people think?

I reported about 6% (by count, not value) of my 2021 transactions valued over $500 as part of an [notify]Esdiel[/notify] coordinated attempt last summer to encourage others to publish sales. I think that was a resounding failure as it was pretty much just him and I who did.

rlm said:
I think that was a resounding failure as it was pretty much just him and I who did.

I put in my 2-cents (as well as reporting a few others to NameBio), but I agree the silence was deafening from .CA domain investors.

Reactions: rlm
I'm slowly adding my names to Dan, no inquiries yet but I still think their platform looks good and I like the monthly cashflow options with a lease or rent. Don't know why someone would rent a domain but why not give the option.

DomainRecap said:

He has probably mailed you a cheque for 30k by accident, and wants you to paypal him the 10k 'overpayment' immediately. lol

MapleDots said:

What the hell was that?

In 2021 I turned down probably about 50k to 60k in total sales, and about 60% of that was for an offer on one .ca domain.

Many didn't negotiate back and forth like you might expect from an initial offer. They offer something like xxx or low x,xxx and stick to it.

With inflation and more need to compete online, and more crypto and tech start ups, hopefully this improves. Time is the best friend of the owner of good domains.

There are some I still hope to hear back from in 2022, those who play a little hardball.

Also, I should probably be deciding to sell more often, and not always hold out for a higher offer EVERY time. lol

Reactions: rlm
domains said:
I'm slowly adding my names to Dan, no inquiries yet but I still think their platform looks good and I like the monthly cashflow options with a lease or rent. Don't know why someone would rent a domain but why not give the option.

After all the attention Dan got, I added some names last fall as well. Nothing to note so far, except maybe this. Rather than the godaddy low-ballers, I guess we now have the Dan high-ballers, lol.

dan-high-baller.png

So far I've added about 250 names, have a few hundreds to go. Pretty sure I'm still < 1000 domains owned.

Members who recently read this topic: 1

Sponsors who contribute to keep dn.ca free for everyone.

Sponsors who contribute to keep dn.ca free.

Back