• Buy & Sell your domain names commission free on Canada's most trusted domaining community. Get your own landing page with a custom website address dn.ca/market/user at: Market Pages

French .ca Domains (1 Viewing)

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
851
Posts
3,630
Likes
3,099
Market
CIRA.jpg



We all know French.ca domains have long been available:
https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/giving-ca-a-french-accent/47279


I am thinking we should have a French forum but I would have to have a moderator that not only speaks fluent French but also knows his way around .ca's.


Anyone have a nominee
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,832
Likes
917
I think the addition of these special characters is a non-starter in most cases, as only the current owner of the pure domain form is allowed to register the special character versions. So really, you require the standard .CA domain before you can even start worrying about the others.
 

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
851
Posts
3,630
Likes
3,099
Market
Understood but instead of special characters (sorry I added a wrong graphic & link) I was thinking more of domains in the French language.
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,832
Likes
917
That's different then, as I have sold several French domains and buy them here and there on the TBR if it's cheap enough. One I remember off hand was Marelle, which means Hopscotch in English.
 

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
851
Posts
3,630
Likes
3,099
Market
I just figured out that we have [notify]Lachinoiserie[/notify] as a member.
He has done well with French domains and is quite active on namepros.

I am not sure at this point until I get feedback if we should make a French forum or a French Topic to start so we can gage interest.
 

Lachinoiserie

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2020
Topics
9
Posts
36
Likes
30
MapleDots said:
I just figured out that we have @Lachinoiserie as a member.
He has done well with French domains and is quite active on namepros.

I am not sure at this point until I get feedback if we should make a French forum or a French Topic to start so we can gage interest.

Hello [notify]MapleDots[/notify], thanks for the shout-out. I'll be happy to share my thoughts about French domains with you all and reply all your questions. Just tag me when you'll need be, and I'll appear as a French Djinn, mustache included.

Long life to DN.ca!
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,832
Likes
917
On that note, as there are any live site examples of companies using a .CA IDN for special characters?
 

Lachinoiserie

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2020
Topics
9
Posts
36
Likes
30
DomainRecap said:
On that note, as there are any live site examples of companies using a .CA IDN for special characters?

Montréal.ca the best city in the World?
 

rlm

Highest Like Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2020
Topics
57
Posts
1,437
Likes
1,364
FYI, there is a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of .ca domains that are IDN. And when it is used, it just redirects to the non-idn. Even for Montréal.ca and Québec.ca. So if the two best examples can only be used as redirects, then they're pretty much meaningless.

However, I'd love to have a francophone domainer as a friend, so they can tell me if domains like francophone are worth anything! Not growing up in Canada, I'm completely clueless about french language, I've never even been to Quebec other than passing through an airport once. Every once in a while, I foolishly buy something that looks french and rely on an unreliable translation as justification to buy it...
 

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
851
Posts
3,630
Likes
3,099
Market
I owned freeWiFi.ca and WiFigratuit.ca and I ended up dropping the French version.
It was the only French domain I owned and I had no inquiries on it so I let it go.

So if anyone wants it WiFigratuit.ca is a free hand reg at this time.
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,832
Likes
917
Lachinoiserie said:
Montréal.ca the best city in the World?

Do you have the IDN link, as I can only get Montreal.ca and Quebec.ca to pop up.

Edit: I guess you mean that it forwards.. I was kinda looking for one that uses the special characters by default as their prime domain.
 

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
851
Posts
3,630
Likes
3,099
Market
DomainRecap said:
Do you have the IDN link, as I can only get Montreal.ca and Quebec.ca to pop up.

Edit: I guess you mean that it forwards.. I was kinda looking for one that uses the special characters by default as their prime domain.


I have ever gone that far into my keyboard to even find those symbols. I mostly use my pixelbook and a chromebook keyboard is pretty blank. I think actually using them without a forward would be a risky move.
 

Lachinoiserie

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2020
Topics
9
Posts
36
Likes
30
rlm said:
FYI, there is a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of .ca domains that are IDN. And when it is used, it just redirects to the non-idn. Even for Montréal.ca and Québec.ca. So if the two best examples can only be used as redirects, then they're pretty much meaningless.

However, I'd love to have a francophone domainer as a friend, so they can tell me if domains like francophone are worth anything! Not growing up in Canada, I'm completely clueless about french language, I've never even been to Quebec other than passing through an airport once. Every once in a while, I foolishly buy something that looks french and rely on an unreliable translation as justification to buy it...

You are absolutly right, I did not want to be too pessimistic, but to me the Canadian market is small, the French market even smaller and the IDN market is not even a market. lol It is just there. It is possible to do it but no one will reg a accentuated domain name.

Feel free to contact me if you want my opinion on French domains.
 

rlm

Highest Like Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2020
Topics
57
Posts
1,437
Likes
1,364
Lachinoiserie said:
You are absolutly right, I did not want to be too pessimistic, but to me the Canadian market is small, the French market even smaller and the IDN market is not even a market. lol It is just there. It is possible to do it but no one will reg a accentuated domain name.

Feel free to contact me if you want my opinion on French domains.

I'd redirect it the other way around, so that no matter how you got there, the accurate character version would be displayed. That would feel more authentic to me.
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,832
Likes
917
MapleDots said:
I have ever gone that far into my keyboard to even find those symbols. I mostly use my pixelbook and a chromebook keyboard is pretty blank. I think actually using them without a forward would be a risky move.

It would always be forwarded, just the other way around, so that the site URL for Montréal.ca and Québec.ca would show the proper Quebec spelling - you forward Quebec.ca to Québec.ca and make the Home button "Québec.ca". Or create two separate homepages for each, with the rest of the content being the same.