• Buy & Sell your domain names commission free on Canada's most trusted domaining community.
    Get your own landing page with a custom website address dn.ca/market/user at: Market Pages

Your latest .ca Hand Registration and Why? (1 Viewing)

MapleDots

Community Guide
Verified Member
Boardroom Access
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Topics
831
Posts
3,548
Likes
3,055
Market
legal.png



iLegal.ca - I registered it a few weeks back


also



MBike.ca - stands for Motorized Bicycle or Motor Bike, take your pick.



What was your latest hand registered domain?
 

rlm

Highest Like Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2020
Topics
57
Posts
1,429
Likes
1,354
MapleDots said:
Hand registrations only in this topic please

Technically they were hand reg as he's saying they were bought post-tbr.
 

aactive

R.I.P.
Joined
Nov 11, 2020
Topics
23
Posts
372
Likes
370
Latest hand-reg: liquorice.ca
 

DomainTrader

Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Topics
7
Posts
252
Likes
83
Does the fact that domain names like scarce and liquorice are available to hand register tell you anything at all about dot ca
 

domains

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Topics
53
Posts
947
Likes
486
Market
I don't think anybody expects .ca domains to be registered or used to the same extent as .com in the world, so there is always going to be more words and terms available to register.
 

rlm

Highest Like Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2020
Topics
57
Posts
1,429
Likes
1,354
DomainTrader said:
Does the fact that domain names like scarce and liquorice are available to hand register tell you anything at all about dot ca

What it tells me is that they're just poor words for business use. Most tld's - if registered - aren't developed, there's not a single .ca in use using the word scarce or liquorice in it (as far as I know).

In google adwords, if you had a big fat wallet and wanted to buy ads on the term "scarce", even on a "broad match" basis, you'd be able to buy precisely Zero clicks per month.

With Liquorice (which isn't the preferred north american spelling) you could buy 2.5 clicks per month.

So if you're looking for blame, look to the left of the dot, not the right :)
 

JoeN

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Topics
7
Posts
43
Likes
42
rlm said:
What it tells me is that they're just poor words for business use. Most tld's - if registered - aren't developed, there's not a single .ca in use using the word scarce or liquorice in it (as far as I know).

In google adwords, if you had a big fat wallet and wanted to buy ads on the term "scarce", even on a "broad match" basis, you'd be able to buy precisely Zero clicks per month.

With Liquorice (which isn't the preferred north american spelling) you could buy 2.5 clicks per month.

So if you're looking for blame, look to the left of the dot, not the right :)
Yeah exactly. It certainly makes sense that they were available to register.

I like "scarce" as a potential brand, but I'm under no illusions that it's anything more than a hail Mary pass.
 

DomainRecap

Highest Post Count
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Topics
42
Posts
1,818
Likes
914
A few days ago, I was finally going to register GoldHouse.ca from my leftover list, but someone beat me to it.
 

Spex

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2020
Topics
33
Posts
389
Likes
257
DomainTrader said:
Does the fact that domain names like scarce and liquorice are available to hand register tell you anything at all about dot ca

Glass half-empty...I agree. It means that out of the millions of .CA's registered right now, everyone passed on those names so it's not a good sign

Glass half-full...It's cheap to take a shot. Spend ~$10 to get exclusive selling rights to a decent name for a year :)
 

aactive

R.I.P.
Joined
Nov 11, 2020
Topics
23
Posts
372
Likes
370
Spex said:
Glass half-empty...I agree. It means that out of the millions of .CA's registered right now, everyone passed on those names so it's not a good sign

Glass half-full...It's cheap to take a shot. Spend ~$10 to get exclusive selling rights to a decent name for a year :)

We are launching Licorice.ca next month and saw that liquorice.ca was available so we registered it...might as well have both. Not a popular name in Canada, but for $10 a year, we'll take it. Back to your regular programming.
 

Spex

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2020
Topics
33
Posts
389
Likes
257
aactive said:
We are launching Licorice.ca next month and saw that liquorice.ca was available so we registered it...might as well have both. Not a popular name in Canada, but for $10 a year, we'll take it. Back to your regular programming.

That's true and missed that part in my "glass half-full" paragraph. If you're an end-user or can benefit by owning an alternative spelling or a plural then yeah it's a no-brainer to go for it